What 30 Years of M&A Told Us, part 1
“Every deal is unique and has its own detours and surprises, but selling your business has discrete steps that all business owners should know.”
This how Kevin Cudney, M&A attorney with Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schrek, opened last week’s “Selling Your Business” program held with Janiczek Wealth Management.
Over the ensuing 3 hours, the attendees learned some of the key facets of selling a business. Kevin stated, “By the end of this program, you’ll know the right questions to ask.”
The issues covered included a review of the current market environment, discussion of both buyer and seller concerns, how to get started in assembling the right team of advisors, and some rather unique takeaways from Kevin’s 30 years of mergers and acquisitions experience.
- The market is strong now, with deal volume its highest since 2007. “75% of middle market executives are either in deal talks or open to such discussions today”
- “The likelihood of your business being undervalued today is low, but regardless, if your business is a quality asset, then market conditions matter less. In other words, keep your eye on the prize [and maximize your business.]”
- The C-level executive that’s leading the deal cannot be the individual focused on daily operations of the firm. “You don’t want the business experiencing any issues at the most important time.”
- With NDAs, “be selective, as it’s a balancing act between openness and vulnerability, and you have to be mindful of when to share certain information.”
- The due diligence process is a two-way street. “Sellers should be learning about their buyers.”
- Selling your business doesn’t have to result in 100% exit. Private equity firms are increasingly open to a partial, non-controlling stake that allows for participation in the current economics as well as the first look at a future sale.
The program will conclude this week, but it won’t be the last time Janiczek Wealth Management delivers events such as these. Entrepreneurs and executives interested in learning more about maximizing value both in their business and their personal wealth should contact us at (303) 721-7000.